Welcome

I hope that you are well!

I have created this blog to let you know a bit more about what I do and share some tips or information that may help you in achieving your goals.

Please feel free to contact me with questions if you should have any.

Wishing you health!
Isabelle

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Working on horses

Just like when I'm working with riders, when I lay my hands on a horse, I let their body speak to me.

I know this sounds esoteric however being able to read a body's reactions gives me the information I need to help it get better. Whether it be tension in a certain location or how the horse's eye softens or hardens depending on what region I am touching or the pressure of my hand, this is communication.

Last fall I was at the barn where I was boarding my mare and as I walked by a horse who was on cross- ties in the aisle, I casually laid my hand on his neck and he leaned into it. A little surprised at this, I asked the owner if I could work on him a little. He was a 19 year old dressage horse who I believe competed up to Prix St-Georges. Working on his neck and shoulder for about ten minutes I was able to release a lot of tension. Looking at his owner's shoulders, I think she could have used a little TLC as well! :)

The rider told me she had felt a big difference as she got on him. She had never experienced such freedom of movement right from the beginning! It was the horse who told me what he needed. Funny enough, another boarder made a comment about how I was 'talking' to the horse. I corrected her by saying that I was actually listening to him. They always tell us what they need. It just may take a bit of guesswork to figure out what that is.

Being able to help both the horse and rider was a great way to start my day.

I personally believe that horses are healers. No matter what is happening in our lives, being with them seems to make it disappear! My life is better because of them.

As my dog comes to me for his daily massage, I think their lives are better as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment