Welcome

I hope that you are well!

I have created this blog to let you know a bit more about what I do and share some tips or information that may help you in achieving your goals.

Please feel free to contact me with questions if you should have any.

Wishing you health!
Isabelle

Thursday, April 22, 2010

My lesson

This morning my coach had me ride a new horse, instead of the plodder schooly I had been riding. Mind you the last horse was an amazing teacher for me since I am used to riding warmbloods that need more 'Whoa' than 'Go'!

My tendency with him was to overide to get him going. I also became aware of my faulty motor pattern (courtesy of my last mare) to clench my glutes. It is quite a treat to use my own techniques on myself as it clarifies what my clients may be feeling at any given time.

This new mare is more sensitive and had me working in a different way. First of all the body shape is not the same and it took me a little while to figure out what my leg contact needed to be for her to understand what I wanted. She also had me working on my dimmer switch! I had to be very subtle in my pressure to get the desired result. Otherwise she overcompensated to my aid!

The task at hand was to do a 20m circle using my legs first and keeping my hands quiet. It took a little while and no stirrups for me to coordinate my leg aids with my hands and remain relaxed. In the beginning I had a live snake beneath me because I couldn't find consistency and balance in my aids with very sensitive lady.

The good thing about removing my stirrups (which I asked for by the way!) is that I know RIGHT away if I am tensing up and can correct it. As soon as I would begin to bounce more than follow, I knew that leg was not long and I was tense. At the end of my lesson I had longer moments of synchronicity with my new riding partner. It felt beautiful! (when I had it right!)

Apparently this mare lets people know when she isn't happy and we didn't have any of that so I am very pleased about that part.

So what did I learn?
  1. I learned how to ask with less before applying more pressure
  2. To relax my glutes and hip flexors with this new horse's movement
  3. The right rein pressure with this horse (to practice again next time)
  4. That perfection is dynamic not static! The goal is to manage my mistakes and keep going!
In the 4 days until my next lesson, my homework is to simulate the ride in my mind and body and remain relaxed and quiet while coordinating my aids perfectly. I also need to do more stretching and core work!

Be well!
Isabelle

No comments:

Post a Comment