Welcome

I hope that you are well!

I have created this blog to let you know a bit more about what I do and share some tips or information that may help you in achieving your goals.

Please feel free to contact me with questions if you should have any.

Wishing you health!
Isabelle

Monday, May 10, 2010

Cycling your training

We all know that there are stages of learning when taking on a new activity.

We need to get familiar with the equipment, learn basic skills, learn safety rules etc. The next step we learn various techniques, followed by consolidation of the techniques to accomplish a specific task. Once we can do this well, some people like to compete and see just how well they can perform under stress compared to their peers.

There are some terms in training plans such as a Macro cycle and a Micro cycle. Let me give you an example of this. A couple of years back I had a client approach me because she wanted to compete in the Québec version of 'Fear Factor' (Facteur de risque). We had 6 weeks to get her ready. This was our Macro cycle: training plan from start until the event.

I could have worked on her aesthetics and gotten her a killer bod for TV, however that wasn't the nature of the competition. She was to accomplish many 2-3 minute challenges against other competitors, that would need speed, coordination, balance and fearlessness.

So my micro cycles had to train all of these aspects. I saw her 4x a week and planned out every training session to develop these athletic qualities. I knew there would surely be some insect eating so we worked on her mental preparation as well. There were moments when she got really angry with me because I pushed her buttons just like the other competitors were going to!
She won her episode and then the season finale! I was a proud Mama! :)

The bonus was that it was filmed in Argentina and so she brought me back a very nice leather jacket! I digress....

The reason I have told you this little story is because we need to work on all of our athletic qualities, one at a time --and then all together. Regardless of your skill level, you need to go back to basics after the competition season, and then work your way back up.

If you want to take a trip somewhere you need to know where you're starting from and what is the best way to get where you want to go, in the time that you have.
Every time you do take a car trip, you go through the same steps: you need to get in the car, make sure there is gas, tie your seat belt, start the engine etc.

The road you take may be different someone else's, however you still need to plan for it. Training your self and your horse is no different.

You may spend less time doing the basics, however if you take the time to go through them again, the more difficult tasks will be much easier.

The first thing you need to do is an evaluation.
- What is your end goal?
- Then, determine what your strengths and what your weaknesses are.
- How much time should you spend working on each of the required athletic skills by the end of your macro cycle?

Planning is great, however it is just a plan. They can change depending on what turns up! Being flexible is key.

Hope this helps! Happy training! :)

2 comments:

  1. This is really helpful as I am trying to get back to my previous level of fitness following a long illness. Thanks for the advice I certainly intend to take it.

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it was helpful Wendy! Wishing you health! :)

    ReplyDelete